Not the biggest ever Charles Rennie Mackintosh project, but historically very important, was his Music Salon installed within the Waerndorfer House, Vienna in 1902-03. Fritz Waerndorfer hosted, funded and commissioned artists and architects seeking to make a mark and change artistic direction around the turn of the 20th century, including Hoffman, Olbrich, Moser and Klimt (all photographed together at the house).
While the Music Salon interiors have long since been removed (some elements remain in various collections), the small inglenook fireplace extension by Mackintosh remains and was recently surveyed by Brian Park as part of our involvement with the CRM Society recording the condition of Mackintosh buildings and interiors. The world renowned Margaret Macdonald gesso panel tryptych depicting The Seven Princesses was commissioned for the Music Salon and remains in Vienna, displayed at The MAK gallery, having been ‘lost’ for decades. The house itself remains highly significant with its Hoffman porch (part of a range of commissioned interventions) and as the venue for meetings such as that referred to above which sparked significant changes in art and architecture across Europe and beyond.