We were pleased to see our Mansion House conservation project for the Mount Stuart Trust featured in The Buteman Newspaper this week. The works to the fabric of the Category A Listed building in Rothesay are nearing the halfway point on site. The three-storey building, complete with spiral staircase, was home to the Crichton-Stuart family until 1719, when the new family seat at Mount Stuart was completed.
Some amazing artefacts have been unearthed on site during the works including newspapers dating back to 1784, a hand-painted playing card, a lace cuff thought to be from a young girl’s dress, glass bottles and pieces of china, all of which are being examined by the Mount Stuart archivist.
The project is programmed to be complete in winter 2015, an extract of the full article from the newspaper can be viewed here .