Rosslyn Chapel Trust
Chapel Loan, Roslin, Midlothian, EH25 9PU
Internal Floor Area
Welcoming guests once more
Collegehill House dates from 1660 and originally served as an inn, welcoming a number of notable guests. The inn became a popular stop-off point for travellers in the 18th century, many of whom have inscribed their names or messages on the window panes. New guests of this seventeenth century inn, followers in the footsteps of Burns and Samuel Johnson, will be able to enjoy their stay in the comfort of twenty-first century facilities following a full upgrade of the external building fabric and internal decoration. The house is now rented to the public through the Landmark Trust.
The restoration work was carried out with the aim of minimum change. Broken clay pantiles were replaced with new, pre-aged tiles of exact dimensions and, failing lime harling was coloured to original deep orange and cracked window panes lovingly restored with all existing inscriptions retained. A new wood-burning stove has been fitted in the large living room, supplemented by a new heating system that links to the Chapel’s biomass boiler. The building’s interior has been brought up to date with a reconfigured bathroom, redecoration throughout, and a large games area created in the basement.