Kelvingrove Bandstand, Glasgow
Kelvingrove Park, Glasgow
Internal Floor Area
An old friend brought back to life by Glasgow Building Preservation Trust.
The Bandstand required two small extensions to the rear to be erected to provide supplementary accommodation to the original dressing rooms, including showers, an accessible WC and platform lift to provide stage access. The form of these extensions reflected the gable of the original building with a deliberate use of contemporary materials to offer a sympathetic contrast. Adaptations to the amphitheatre sought to minimise the visual impact, with an altered layout introducing ramp access, improving sightlines by forming new concrete benching and additional aisles cut into the terraces to aid access. The original timber benches which remained in situ were refurbished.
Built in 1924 Kelvingrove Bandstand and Amphitheatre is a key component of the designed landscape setting of Kelvingrove Park. The Category B listing of the venue reflects its architectural and cultural significance as the only remaining Scottish example of a covered bandstand and elliptical amphitheatre. Despite this the building had fallen into disuse in the late 1990’s and was included on the ‘Buildings at Risk’ Register.
This project required a considerable amount of reconstruction and adaptation. This meant adapting old and new details to function in isolation and in conjunction with one another. The rehabilitation of the Bandstand was not only important because of its prominent location in Kelvingrove Park, or because of its building typology but because of its social and intrinsic value. Its successful and continued use is evidence of that.
“The Kelvingrove Bandstand is a much loved Glasgow landmark and its restoration is a great example of how working in partnership can bring out the best in a project.”
Sadie Docherty Lord Provost
Scottish Design Awards 2015 - Listed Building Category
Glasgow Herald Property Awards 2014
GIA Award 2014 - Conservation
RICS Awards 2015 - Conservation Commendation Award
RICS Award 2015, Commendation Community Benefit