Rosslyn Castle Site Progress
This week saw the completion of the scaffolding structure and protective canopy at Rosslyn Castle. Installed around the former ‘Great Hall’ and tower areas, the scaffolding will provide access to ruinous parts of the castle currently undergoing a major programme of conservation and repair work.
Rosslyn Castle, just a short walk from Rosslyn Chapel, was built by the St Clair family and the oldest parts date back to the early 14th century. Although much of the site is ruinous, the East Range was developed as a domestic residence in 1622 and is still partly occupied being let as a holiday accommodation. The Rosslyn Chapel Trust commissioned Page\Park to develop a scheme of repair and conservation works to the East Range, reintegrating the ruinous parts of the castle by creating a new roof over the ‘Great Hall’ and tower, securing the long-term future of one of Midlothian’s most historically significant buildings in the context of climate change and increased rainfall.
The scaffolding has been purposefully designed to have minimum impact on the A listed building, ensuring the existing fabric is protected throughout the duration of the project. The canopy will also provide cover to the exposed ‘Great hall’ and tower areas during the internal archaeological excavations and construction work.
More to follow as the project develops on site.